Friday, May 14, 2010

Lit Circle. . . .

Somebody Should Have Taught Him

"I went to a birthday partybut I remember what you said.You told me not to drink at all,so I had a Sprite instead.I felt proud of myself,the way you said I would,that i didn't chose to drink and drive,though some friends said I should.I knew I made a healthy choice andyour advice to me was rightas the party finally endedand the kids drove out of sight.I got into my own car,sure to get home in one piece,never knowing what was coming,something I expected least.Now I'm lying on the pavement.I can hear the policeman say,"The kid that caused this wreck was drunk."His voice seems far away.My own blood is all around me,as I try hard not to cry.I can hear the paramedic say,"This girl is going to die."I'm sure the guy had no idea,while he was flying high,because he chose to drink and drivethat I would have to die.So why do people do it,knowing that it ruins lives?But now the pain is cutting melike a hundred stabbing knives.Tell my sister not to be afraid,Tell Daddy to be brave,and when I go to heaven to put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave.Someone should have taught himthat it's wrong to drink and drive.Maybe if his mom and dad had,I'd still be alive.My breath is getting shorter,I'm getting really scared.These are my final moments,and I'm so unprepared.I wish that you could hold me, Mom,as I lie here and die.I wish that I could sayI love you and good-bye."

Retold by Jane Watkins
I chose this porem because out of the whole intire book this poem stood out to me. As i was reading i just wanted to cry. the words are so touching and just catch your eye. just as i was reading it i just thought about how the girl tried to do something good but then something bad happened to her. usually when people go to parties and there are already ppl drinking and stuff, friends always want you to have a good time just as they are and they pressure you to drink not even thinking about the consequinces.
" the kid that caused this wreck was drunk."
I personally think that when someone drinks and drives, that it suppper selfish. Just imagine that your driving with your family and all of a sudden a car just runs the red light not knowing. . .and they kill every single one of you. . . . . SELFISH , SELFISH, SELFISH! what huirts the most is is that when people drink they are a completly total different person and they dont reolize what they can or shouldn't do.
As i read the poem i couldnt stop thinking about how sad the family is and how proud of that girl they are of her. All she did was pay attention to what her parents said and did the right thing.

0 comments: